East Bay News
Man shot by CHP officer in Orinda expected to survive
CONTRA COSTA COUNTY, Calif. -- A man shot Friday in Orinda by a California Highway Patrol officer during the investigation of a hit-and-run collision has been identified as 32-year-old David Alcairo, the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Office said Saturday.
Alcairo, a Concord resident, was shot in the torso Friday on the Wilder Road offramp from eastbound state Highway 24 around 4 p.m., Sheriff's Office spokesman Jimmy Lee said.
His injuries are not life-threatening, but he currently remains at John Muir Medical Center, Lee said. When he is released from the hospital, he is expected to be booked into Alameda County Jail on multiple charges.
The shooting occurred during the investigation of an injury hit-and-run collision involving a motorcycle that occurred around 3:40 p.m. near the Claremont Avenue offramp in Oakland, according to the CHP.
Working from a description provided by an off-duty federal law enforcement officer who witnessed the collision, a CHP officer spotted a suspicious vehicle matching that description parked on the shoulder at the Wilder Road offramp around 4 p.m., Lee said.
The CHP officer stopped behind the vehicle, but at some point during the contact the driver allegedly approached the officer in an aggressive manner and refused to comply with orders, Lee said.
The officer opened fire, injuring the driver.
Eastbound lanes of Highway 24 were closed for about two hours during the two investigations on each side of the Caldecott Tunnel, backing traffic up at the height of this evening's rush hour.
The CHP, the sheriff's office and the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office are jointly investigating the officer-involved shooting, Lee said.
Anyone with information about the incident has been asked to call the Contra Costa County Sheriff's Office at (925) 646-2441.
CHP, highway 24, orinda, oakland, caldecott tunnel, crash, crime, shooting, guns, violence, hit and run, east bay news
- Sex offender says he and Sandra Coke were to wed
- Man hurt after falling 100-feet off golf course cliff
- Union members reject tentative AC Transit contract
- Search for Oakland shooting suspect continues
- Chance of dry lightning prompts fire danger warning
- Volcanic eruption coats Japanese city with ash
- Musician to sue Hayward after attack onstage
- Young, Callaspo homer as A's beat Indians 7-3
- Egypt: 36 killed in Brotherhood escape attempt
- Study: Smartphones to blame for poor eyesight
- Petition drive to recall San Diego mayor begins
- abcnews: 9 household items that may be spying
- roundup: O.co Coliseum fire; Officer-involved shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday